Monday, May 18, 2009

easy stroller quilt


A few months ago I found the instructions to make this fun stroller quilt from Susan of Joy Bucket. Her Peek-a-Boo Bunting basically takes a 28" x 45" quilt and turns it into a tie-on quilt for your stroller, to keep baby's feet warm without dragging on the ground. The best part is that baby can't kick it off! And there are three buttons, so you can extend the length as baby grows.

I liked her colors so well that I used similar tones found in Michael Miller's Dick and Jane fabric line. It was a pretty fast project since the quilt is pretty small, and it used less fabric than a regular baby quilt. Susan used 2.5" x 2.5" squares, but I upped my to 3" x 3" squares.


Here's the finished product.


You can see from the back view that you just fold up about 1/3 of the quilt and attached three fabric-covered buttons (plus buttonholes--that was the hardest part for me since I'd never done them on my current sewing machine).



This was such a fun project that I made another one! This one was much quicker because I just used wide strips of fabric for the quilt top instead of patchwork. I used a striped chenille on the back to make it a little cozier.



Stacy caught the bug, too, and made a couple more. These fish-in-a-bag and goldfish prints from Heather Ross are adorable!


Here are the cute buttons. They're sewn on, but the buttonholes aren't done yet.


And here's a cute idea for a toddler who's into pirates. Stacy appliqued this silly skull and crossbones on black and white fabric, then backed it with a soft dot minky. Cozy and cool.


These make great baby gifts! You can always use a pre-made blanket and attach some straps if you're not into quilting. Just be aware that if you use Joybucket's instructions you may not sell the finished product. They're under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial Copyright. She's very generous to share the tutorial with us! Thanks, Susan!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
16 Comments

16 Responses to “easy stroller quilt”

Nicki said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog last week on my SITS day! This blog is WAY too cute!!

Susan said...

WOW! What beautiful work. I like all of them. Please add them to the flickr group I created for them. I can't wait to see what everyone makes. I'm just tickled others think this is a good idea.

Thanks for the write up. I've been in a bit of a blog rut and haven't post since the beginning of April. Now I have something to write about.

Best,
Susan

Susan said...

Did I leave the link the flickr group? Here it is:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/456307@N23/

~Kimberly said...

Oh my gosh! All the quilts you made are too cute! I will have to mark this for later...I have already ruined a couple blankies from getting them caught in the wheels during our walks. Whoops! What a great idea!

Bec said...

Hi, sorry to be a pain in the butt, but I was wondering if you to tell me what dimensions you used for your quilt? I've looked for the original tutorial but the site seems to be down or gone :(
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

HELP! I can't figure out how to find the tutorial once I get to Joy's. I LOVE this stroller quilt. I'm expecting my first grand child in July and would love to make this. Thank you

Unknown said...

adorable! Thanks for the link and the inspiration! I'll have to share it on my blog as well. I swear I will start quilting as soon as my sewing machine snaps out of it's bitchfit. D:
Considering I just got a new nephew, and my cousin had a baby, and my best friend from highschool is hopefully in labour as I type this considering she is overdue... lol... LOTS OF BABIES AROUND HERE.

Alena Jo said...

You gals are awesome! I love, love, love this idea! I will definitely be making this. I'm in the Phoenix area though. I think I'll wait until October to make one! :-) Thanks!

Kelly O. said...

This is wonderful!
Couldn't find the tut so I emailed susan.
Hopefully she will send it to me so I can start sewing :)
thanks for sharing
thanks susan!

Vicki said...

These are amazingly adorable! Really, really like these. Great fabric choices, great style.

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

Shiver me timbers! This is a fantastic project and I know a tiny pirate who would love this addition to his ride!! :)

Ashley said...

I am totally in love with these blankets. I wish I knew how to sew. These would be amazing gifts for my seemingly endless list of pregnant friends.

Susan said...

I've updated my blog so you can easily find the Tut there instead of emailing me.

On the right sidebar of my blog http://www.joybucket.com there is an image titled "Simple Stroller Quilt Tutorial". Click on that image and it will enlarge and you will be able to download it.

My inbox was deluged and I've been overwhelmed with email requests. I created a flickr group http://www.flickr.com/groups/456307@N23/ so everyone can show off there creations. Please join! I can't wait to see what you make.

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Super Cute! I linked

audrey said...

I need one of these!! Very cute.

Emily said...

Wow! such a cute blanket! You guys are great...I wanted to let you know I've given you a blog award because I think your's is great. Swing by my blog to pick it up.....I think I did it right :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs